The Happy Valley

I ventured over to Macey's in Provo to pick up a few things. (I was by myself. I don't do the grocery shopping thing with kids anymore...for now anyway). I wasn't in a great mood. I was tired and grumpy. I walk in and I almost bumped into a young father sporting a BYU T-shirt pushing his three toddlers in the car shopping cart. I go to the produce section and notice that the local corn is on sale and a woman tells me where to go in the store to get the best selection. I see more BYU T-shirts and knee length shorts. I head over to buy yeast and an elderly man asks me if I could help him find corn starch. Remember I am still grumpy and I try to help him. I couldn't find it. He does, and then watches me as I put a can of bread crumbs in my cart. "Bread crumbs? It used to be what we found on the kitchen counter. Now we can buy it. In fact, my wife pulled out our canned bread crumbs from food storage just the other day. It was dated 1985." I just had to ask him if he ate it. He sure did and said it tasted just fine. I proceeded to frozen foods and saw more BYU T-shirts, young newly weds and so many children. Everyone seemed so happy. Even the bagger had a smile on her face! Whoa. (What I don't see are people of other ethnicity's. Very weird for me. I used to be the minority in Goodyear, AZ.)
Anyway, I am walking out to my car, and a man was pulling out of his parking stall, but saw me coming. He pulled back in, smiled, and waved me through. He too was wearing a BYU T-shirt... I am not joking people. Apparently I didn't get the memo. Next time, I will sport my BYU duds and smile at the grocery store.

Go Cougars! It feels good to be back!

Comments

bretandjulie said…
Since I have never lived in Utah, your trip to the store sounds really weird. I've never had an experience like that in California or Arizona. Glad that you're happy being back home, (although I can't figure out why you were grumpy since you were shopping alone.) Seems that things keep changing around here and I've got a few more pics I need to send you.
Was AZ really that bad?! :) Glad you are having a fun time being home! I imagine it would be a bit of a shock there...but one you are used to! Hope you are getting settled in!
Rochelle said…
I sometimes miss Utah too...they are really happy, friendly folks. Get me away from the cold weather anyday though.
Elise and Dan said…
Utah is a lot like CO. Everyone is so friendly and nice! People actaully smile and say hello to one another. I love that!! Being from Cali, where that deosn't happen much, I think it's great. I'm glad that you are so happy to be back.
Elise and Dan said…
Oh, and Yes Beckers it was that bad!! =)
Becca said…
Yeah, I don't think I miss Provo too much, but then again it was a nice, calm and comfortable place to live (except in the winter).

Tell Kye Hi for me and to respond to my email! thx
bentanelle said…
That is so funny! I swear sometimes Utah is like a foreign country! I hear ya about being in the minority! between the Grenadians and the england tourist, we stick out like a sore thumb. especially with kids!
Anonymous said…
Don't you just love it. That is hilarious about the BYU t's. I usually just see those come out in full force during football season. Love the conversation about the bread crumbs though. Hilarious!! So sorry about your niece. So incredibly heartbreaking. I hope you don't feel guilt for getting your healthy happy baby. People say that comes when another family member has a loss. So sorry it happened to her. It's amazing the things that we have to go through here in this life. Oh and tell Kye he needs to email me whatever class of 98 emails he has. He doesn't have to search for new ones, just the ones he has would be great. Thanks hope you are getting all settle in.
Kelly Nordfelt said…
Don't get me wrong people, I loved Arizona! I just thought it was funny to see so many mormons in one place. I haven't seen it for awhile.
The Jones Fam said…
I think the real test would be to wear a University of Utah shirt to the store and see if everyone continues to be cordial, or whether you become the heckled outcast. Go Utes!

Jared
Lacey said…
That's so funny! I've been in Vegas all week and I've sick of all the rude people. Can't wait to get back to Utah!
Annie Jane said…
What a fun story. Good post. I feel the same way when I come to Utah after a while. As I look around and see all these people who look similar to me, everywhere I look, I am shocked! It is strange to be surrounded by so many people with my same view on life!

Popular posts from this blog

4-11-2008

The Price Is Right 10/25/1999

It's Elvis Baby!