The True Confessions of KC Nordfelt


We have a problem with our son. We are beside ourselves. This kid went out and picked all the leaves and killed 10 of the plants in our garden. I went and replaced them all the next morning. He had quite the talking to and was told he couldn't ride his bike or his four-wheeler if he did it again. (The two things he LOVES)
That night, he did it again.
I spanked his bare butt, hard.
Now people, you would think that this would give someone the message. KC didn't get that message. KC doesn't "Get" messages and it is quite frustrating.
KC, yet again, killed three plants in the garden last night. He knows he does wrong. This time I didn't spank, I cried and asked him to explain himself. He couldn't do it!

He waits until no one is watching. He sneaks in the backyard and does it. We don't get it.

This was our conversation today. I was very nice and sweet while asking. He doesn't answer if I talk to him while I am angry.

Mom: "KC, why did you pick mommies plants...three times?"

KC: "Because I wanted to."

Mom: "Remember when I spanked your butt? Didn't you know that I would be mad if you did it again?"

KC: "Yes"

Mom: "Then why did you pick my plants again?"

KC: "Because I wanted to."

Mom: "That makes us so sad."

KC: "I know, but I like to."
There is nothing more to say about this. I feel like a failure as a mom. Is this because he stopped sucking his thumb a month ago?
Anyone ever experienced something like this? Please give me your advice:)

Comments

The Jones Fam said…
He ended up doing it a 3rd time? When we talked, I think it had only been two. Sorry, I don't have any advice, but give me few years to let Jett grow up and I'm sure I'll be asking you for some! So did you end up taking away his bike and 4 wheeler? Did that work at all?
Mindika said…
I'm so sorry Kelly. That is very frustrating. I don't really have any personal advice...mine is only 9 months. But I did see something similar on super nanny once.

The kid didn't respond to any traditional punishment and would say the same thing when he did something wrong..."I just wanted to". So the nanny had the parents start taking things away or not doing things and when the child would get upset, they would very calmly say the same thing back to him..."We just don't want to give you the toy,or we just don't want to let you have a treat, or we just don't want to do whatever..." Then when the child would get frustrated they would explain that they feel the same way he does bad things etc...

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. It worked on the show, but every child is different.

Good luck!

Now can you tell me how I convince my 9 month old that she can't feed herself yet??? And picking her rice cereal up by the handful and smearing it all over her head and face, doesn't count as eating! :)
He sounds like my Maliya. She's just naughty, and we have come to expect this out of her. The only real disciplining that works with both our kids is to take toys or privledges away, and than they have to earn them back by doing something good. Good luck, every kid is different, and I really wish they came with an instruction manual.
Looks like you have been busy lately. I must say.... I love love love the furniture, and I would have never guessed it was the same furniture as the before pics. Great job, and think of how much you saved! Hope you're doing good.
Terri said…
Kelly dear! Wow, I love what you did to your furniture. I am soooo proud of you. That is my favorite thing to do. Buy old and paint new. Did you spray paint or just paint? What color did you use, I love it. As for KC..man, you are doing everything great. Be paitent yet firm. Mia can care less how many times she gets spanked. Soo that never worked for her. She hates time outs and things taken from her. Sooo maybe he doesnt deserve the same privilesgs as someone who has listened.
I saw the same thing as everyone else every child is different, good luck. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Its trial by error. :)
Love you
Kel said…
Maybe there is a place in the yard that can be his to take care of. We picked up dollar seeds and pots from Target and let our little one (almost 3) plant and take care of them. Now when we need to work on things in the yard, she has something that is just hers to do.
kelly, KC sounds a lot like my hunter. we should talk.

Popular posts from this blog

4-11-2008

The Price Is Right 10/25/1999

It's Elvis Baby!