Wednesday in D.C.

Today I went to the Holocaust Museum by myself. I was there for 2.5 hours. It was something else. It was horrific. I've seen "Schindler's List", I've read a few books, but I wasn't expecting all of that. I was near tears from the horror, but also near tears because I felt overwhelmed and so lucky that I wasn't a prisioner in a concentration camp. I feel sorry for those millions of people whose "lot" was to be starved, tortured, worked to death, and eventually exterminated. It's hard for me to understand why that was allowed to happen. I don't pretend to understand why most things happen, but I know the Lord has a plan.

I later spent an hour in the National Archives building. I saw the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, Magna Carta, and many more historical documents. I'm telling you right now I should have paid more attention in history class. This stuff is cool! I am excited to learn more about it.

Tomorrow is Lincoln's 200th birthday celebration down by the Lincoln memorial. We are headed there in the morning. Hopefully the weather is as beautiful as it was today. It was nearly 60 degrees. I had a light sweater on with the sleeves pushed up. The sun was actually warming my skin! It was beautiful.

Comments

Meilani said…
We're glad you ended up going Kelly. Now we're tuned in to Washington D.C.

J
Mandy said…
The memorial on his birthday is going to be like going the Vatican during the Holy Year. Good luck. I hope it's not too crazy for you!!
Mandy said…
Oh, yes- Ditto on the Holocaust Museum. You should hear Grandma Nigbur's stories!

Popular posts from this blog

4-11-2008

The Price Is Right 10/25/1999

It's Elvis Baby!