My Latest Project

When we moved into our new house I was so excited to re-do the master bedroom. We were going to buy some new furniture at Ikea but then I ran into Merrily. She told me to not buy new, but buy used and paint it. So, I researched KSL classifieds until I found what I wanted. I found a 5-piece bedroom set for $350! They are made with birch wood and the drawers are even dove-tailed. That means these were made well. There is a headboard, two night stands, a dresser, and a chest of drawers. I was excited!

With the help of Merrily and Ed Gonzalez, we got them painted. Then I roughed them up a little with sand paper to give them a shabby-sheek look and put polyurethane on.

I knew what colors I wanted the bed and walls. Then my trusty consultant, Merrily, went shopping with me and helped me pick out my mirror and some pillows. Merrily also told me what wall would look best as the blue accent wall and gave some great decorating ideas. I painted most of the bedroom by myself. Kye came in and helped with the tan walls. I did everything else in the project by myself.

Here are the before and after pictures:
  • The two middle left pictures are the pictures that were advertised on KSL for the furniture. The rest are of my helpers and my "before" room. I didn't mean to cut off my head in the picture of all three of us. I need to work on my self timer skills.

The after photos:
  • I decided to put pictures of the kids feet in grass above our bed. Sounds weird, but we love it.
  • I still can't decide what to put on the blue wall. We have three more wedding photos to put up. I can't decide if I want the frames to be black or not. It might be too much. When I decided I will paint all three frames to match and hang them up.


Comments

Munchkin said…
I love it ... I still need to come and see it in person
It looks great!! I can't believe the difference in that furniture from before to after. Total transformation. The whole room looks fantastic...want to come do mine? :0)
Michelle said…
It turned out great! I love it! That's such a great idea to buy used and re-do it your own way.
Meilani said…
Looks great Kelly! I am very impressed.
Brianne & Jarod said…
The furniture looks great! What I want to know is how did you find time to do all that?? Nice work!
Heidi said…
i love the feet picture
utbronco said…
What a transformation!!! You really did an outstanding job!!! I bet Kye is very proud of you!! Love You!! Uncle Dave
Elise and Dan said…
It looks great! I bet it is so fun to have a house you can decorate any way you like! Dan's parents gave us some old furniture and we painted them, and it was soooo much cheaper than buying and it was fun to work on a project together.
fun! love the results.
Heidi and Jace said…
You did an amazing job!! It looks beautiful!
Kartchners said…
Well done Kelly! I don't have that kind of creativity. Nice furniture find. I like the color of your blue wall a lot.
Kel said…
That is awesome! If I can find some furniture out my way, I may need some instructions from you.
heather said…
so classy! love it! i wish we could paint our walls.
Sara Borg said…
Oh my! Wow! Kelly it looks fabulous and like you spent thousands! Can I be like you when I grow up?

Popular posts from this blog

4-11-2008

The Price Is Right 10/25/1999

It's Elvis Baby!