Dirty. Rotten. Baby!


Look at this kid! Now don't let this cute smile fool you! Behind that two-toothed grin is a little monster who likes to scream every night. It's not your usual scream either. It's a high pitched, I-can't-believe-he-still-has-a-voice kind of scream that gets under your skin after one minute of it, and his lasts at least an hour. I am not exaggerating.
I've been sick for about 10 days now. Yesterday morning I was feeling a little better, but towards the evening I was feeling gross again. I couldn't fall asleep until midnight due to coughing and dry throat. At 12:30, Kanyon starts screaming. Around 1:15 I finally get up and nursed him. We have let him cry it out for the past two weeks, but last night I couldn't handle it anymore. I asked him in a stern voice why he insists on screaming every night. AH! The kid eats all day long. I feed him lean proteins and a variety of other things that I am sure will hold him over. I always top him off with milk before laying him down. We are at our wits end. Any advice?

Comments

the first year is SO rough sometimes! ARG! I think Kristen Harmon wrote on her blog that the reason they are so cute is so they will survive till their next birthday. IT is so hard to make it through the night, esp. when you are not at full strength to begin with. Just pray, take a nap if you can manage it, and hang in there! love you.
Buffy Dayton said…
SOOOOO frustrating. I am sorry you have been sick, anything I can do? I am telling you that is how Jack was, and it was so hard. I tried EVERYTHING, nothing really seemed to work with him. Good luck!
Anonymous said…
Is your son sleeping in the same room with you? If so try moving his crib out for a couple of nights. Like in the hall outside your door, it doesn't have to be far. He can smell the milk and sense that you are there, and can tell when you are moving aroung (which you will probably be doing alot of if you are sick)
Good luck!
Anonymous said…
metamucil,
it keeps me good all night .

pop
The Jones Fam said…
Jett has those same green froggie pj's. He also has red monkey ones, did you get them at Costco? Back to the subject of your post, I am so sorry! I'm tempted to not have another baby just to get out of the crying it out, sleeping through the night phase. Other than keeping up with it, I suggest getting ear plugs.
Kelly Nordfelt said…
Kanyon has his own room, and I will go buy some ear plugs. Excellent advice.
Rochelle said…
We did Jodi Mindell's method where you let them cry ONLY to go to sleep...then during the night you do Anything possible to get them back to sleep. Within two weeks, they've learned to fall asleep on their own and should continue to do so during the night...if not..then you have to keep doing the cry method during the night. It worked for us.
Anonymous said…
Girl, if I had some good advice I would give it to you, but I need some of my own. Mine is 4 and he STILL will not sleep through the night. He goes through phases for 6 months at a time where he will sleep all night and then the other 6 months he is up a few times a night. But I am telling you, that baby is yours is so cute he could be on every magazine cover. OH MY GOODNESS! I just want to eat him up. I will take him off your hands for a bit if you want!!!
chelsea mckell said…
NO - no advice here.
I clicked on the COMMENTS link just so I could see if anyone else had something helpful to say, because Brianna has been screaming too! Luckily not at night, just during the day. For fun or something. Random, high-pitched SHRILLS. She's trying to wake the dead. If she keeps it up, I might be one of them!
mph said…
This totally worked for Hannah -she was waking up 7 times a night at 9 months old. A nurse told me this. The first night: let him cry 3-4 minutes then stick your head in the door and tell him to go back to sleep (do this each time he wakes up). He knows you heard him, but you are not getting him up. DO NOT PICK HIM UP. Then he gets his payoff. He knows if he screams you will hold him. This is the hardest night. It was all I could do to keep myself from running in there and she cried and cried and cried. The 2nd night repeat same procedure except wait 7-8 minutes. Third night wait 11-12 minutes before peeking your head in the door. By the third night, Hannah was cured and slept through the night. I was much happier too. The other thing is do you give him regular naps and is he getting his naps? I find that when I have run my babies around too much not letting them get their naps they have a much harder time sleeping at night. Hope that helps.
karlin said…
that's tough. Sleep is a must! I always ended up letting my kids cry it out but it didn't last that long... they got over it after a few night. Sorry and good luck.
Liz G. said…
I wear earplugs every night because I know that at this point, Afton wakes up and wants to eat just out of habit! I figure if the screaming gets so loud that I can hear it through the earplugs, then MAYBE I will get up. People might think I'm a mean mom, but the babies have to figure out how to get themselves back to sleep sooner or later! Therefore, I say let him scream and wear earplugs for your own sanity.
Anonymous said…
Hi Kelly! It has been forever since I have seen or talked to you. I occasionally look on your blog and it looks like you guys are back in Utah. You have a darling family! I just recently opened up a gmail account so now I can leave comments. We should get together some time, maybe after the holidays when things slow down a bit. Mike and I are doing well. E-mail me when you get a chance. Hope things are well! Happy Holidays!

Love, Ashlee Grimshaw
janet said…
oh that face is SOOOOO cute! These days are numbered, Kelly. My husband bought me a WONDERFUL alarm clock that makes peaceful, quiet sounds... like rain, the ocean, etc. When the baby started crying, I would crank those peaceful sounds and drown out the baby. He eventually learned to sleep through the night :) and I always had dreasm of the beach. win, win.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Popular posts from this blog

4-11-2008

The Price Is Right 10/25/1999

It's Elvis Baby!